The Labour Exhibit Centre was opened in 2007 with the purpose of displaying workers memorabilia and preserving, promoting and honoring the rich and long history of workers in Saint John. The Centre is more than a museum; its mission is to educate the public on the important role unions have played in the building of our city and the contribution that unions continue to make to the quality of the life we enjoy.
The Labour Exhibit Centre was made possible by a generous endowment from Frank and Ella Hatheway. In 1918, the couple granted a parcel of land in the Milldgeville area to the trade unions in the city. The land was later sold and the money placed in the “Hatheway Trust.”
In 2005, the Hatheway Board of Trustees invested a considerable sum of money into the restoration of the Lily Lake Pavilion. This was done on the understanding that the name of the pavilion would become the W. Franklin Hatheway Pavilion and that part of the pavilion would contain a labour exhibit centre, operated and maintained by the Hatheway Trust.
Learn more at: http://www.wfhathewaylabourexhibitcentre.ca